The HP Designjet 400 is a device ideal for large format document printing. This printer also offers many useful features like improved media handling with the help of its front panel.
Along with that, the device also consists of the latest monochrome draft printing mode, which increases the throughput of your document printing.
You will get all the information covering the driver download and installation process regarding the HP Designjet 400 printer. So, keep reading the sections that are given below.
Downloading Procedure for HP DesignJet 400 Printer Driver
After buying a brand new HP DesignJet printer, you must set it up by downloading the drivers. These drivers will help you to enjoy all the eminent features of the printing device. The following sections will teach you how to download the printer drivers for Windows as well as Macintosh Operating Systems.
Download Drivers for Windows
If you are using the Windows OS, here are the steps to download the drivers for the HP Designjet 400 printer.
- Go to the official HP support page with the help of your default web browser. In Windows OS, the default browser is Internet Explorer and Edge.
- After entering the support page, select the “Printers” icon to go to the device selection page.
- You will see a blank box with a Submit button. Enter the model number of your printer and click on the “Submit” button.
- After that, you will see a prompt window on your screen. Generally, the web page detects your OS automatically. But if something goes wrong, manually select the Operating System that you are using.
- Now scroll down and you will see a list of drop-down expandable options. Select the “+” sign beside the “Drivers” and you will find the list of necessary items.
- Click on the “Download” icon to download all the drivers one by one. The files will be saved in the default Downloads folder.
You must know that the executable file format for Windows is in the “.exe” format. However, if you are using a different Operating System (Mac), get on to the next part to know more about that.
Download Drivers for Macintosh
The download procedure for the HP Designjet 400 printer drivers is more or less the same in both Windows and Mac. But, there are certain things that you should remember before downloading the drivers for Macintosh.
Safari is the default browser of your Macintosh computer. The setup file format on Mac is in .dmg format. We advise you to use the default web browser so you can save the files in the “Downloads” folder.
How to Proceed with the HP DesignJet 400 Printer Driver Installation?
After you have successfully downloaded the drivers, you need to install them accordingly. The driver installation procedures on Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems are as follows.
Install Drivers for Windows
First, you need to find whether you got any driver disc along with the printer. Now follow these steps to install the drivers with and without the disc.
- Connect your computer to the printer with the help of a USB cable. You can also establish a connection with the help of a wireless network.
- If you receive a driver disc, then insert it in your computer’s drive and wait for some time. Now follow all the on-screen instructions step by step to install the drivers.
- If you don’t receive any disc, then you have to install the drivers from the setup files that you have downloaded.
- Open the folder where you have downloaded the files. Now double-click on the .exe files and download them one by one by following the instructions on the display.
After the successful installation of all the HP Designjet 400 drivers, restart your computer to save these changes.
Install Drivers for Macintosh
In order to install the drivers for Macintosh OS, first, you need to add your printer to your PC. After that, you have to install the drivers. Now follow the points carefully to do so.
- To add the printer to your Mac computer, go to the “System Preferences” by selecting the Apple menu. Then, click on “Print & Fax” or “Print & Scan” depending upon the Operating System version that you are using.
- Check whether you can see the name of your printer in the list. If it is not there, disconnect and then reconnect the printer with your PC and try to locate it once again.
- When you see the name, select it and then add the device. After that, click on the “Save” tab and confirm the changes.
- Now download the drivers one by one by following the instructions that you will see on the screen.
When the installation process is over, you will be now able to print your documents easily from the HP Designjet 400 printer.
Most Frequent Problems in HP Designjet 400 Printer and their Fixes
When you are using the HP Designjet 400 printer, then your printer might exhibit some frequent problems. They are as follows.
- Problems while printing a PDF document
- Paper imbalance
- Built-in driver installation error
- Low printer memory
- Paper skew issues
As you know the problems now, let’s take a look at all the possible solutions to resolve them.
Solutions to Fix HP Designjet 400 Printer Problems
Here, you will find the solutions that will be helpful to troubleshoot all the above-mentioned problems in HP Designjet 400.
Lower DPI and Adjust Scaling While Printing PDF
When you are trying to print a document that is in PDF format, you might face some errors. It includes missing items from the printed output, unprinted sections, pop-up error messages while printing and other errors.
There are several causes of these problems like driver issues, print enhancement details, printing large document files, and so on. To eliminate these issues, you need to follow the steps that are given below.
- Access the print mode and you will see that the quality of dpi is 600. So, make it less and bring it down to 300 dpi. Besides, you can get additional information about the print quality settings by printing out the resolution table.
- Set the ZoomSmart Scaling of the printer driver to 100 %. If the value drops below this level, your printer may exhibit issues while printing PDFs.
We hope that by following the above points, you will be able to resolve the issue and print from PDF files with ease.
Fix Paper Imbalance
Sometimes, the stack of papers that you are providing to your printer might not be compatible with the device. Hence, you must check the details of your printer’s paper requirement and then feed the exact size and quality papers.
If you ignore the message and continue printing, there can be errors in the printout. So, make sure that you check the printer settings to match the paper size in the printer.
Resolve Built-in Driver Installation Error
Your printer performs well when you install all the necessary printer drivers on your computer. But sometimes, you might face many problems because of these drivers. So, go through the following steps to fix the driver installation error.
Step 1: Remove the Printer Icon from Devices and Printers
Removing the printer icon from your system might be helpful for you to solve the issue. Here are the steps that you can follow to try it.
- Check whether your printer is active in your computer via a USB or wireless connection. If it is so, then disconnect the printer immediately.
- Now turn off your printer and wait for some time. Then switch on the device and make sure that the printer is in a ready state.
- Open the Control Panel from your PC and click on the “Devices and Printers”.
- From the list of devices, select the icon of your printer and right-click on it to remove the device. After that, follow the screen instructions to complete the entire operation.
After you have finished the removal process, add your printer and try to print any of your files.
Step 2: Update Printer Driver via Windows Update
Often, updating the Windows help you to reinstall the printer drivers in an easy way. When your OS downloads the latest updates, it also offers the option to install the updated drivers for your computer and printer.
But before applying the updates, make sure that the printer is connected to your computer with the help of a USB cable. Now follow the steps to set your Windows Update automatically.
- Click on the search bar of your computer and type “Change device installation settings”.
- After the “Device installation settings” window opens, two options will be present there. One is “Yes (recommended)” and the other is “No (your device might not work as expected)”.
- Select the “Yes” radio button and you will be able to download and update drivers automatically.
After a successful Windows Update, all your system and printer drivers will be updated. We hope that you will not face any driver error from now on while printing on HP Designjet 400.
Step 3: Install your Printer Drivers with Add Printer Wizard
The “Add a printer” is an effective utility to install built-in drivers in Windows Operating System. When your printer is active in your computer via a USB cable, you may face certain printing issues. To fix this situation, follow the steps that are given below.
- Open the Control Panel and select the “Devices and Printers”. Then you will see the “Add Printer” option is present just below the directory navigation box.
- Click on the “Add a printer” and then “Choose a device or printer to add to this PC”. Once you see the name of your printer, click on it and then choose “Next”.
- After that, refer to the on-screen instructions to reinstall the drivers.
- If your printer is not on the list, click on “The printer I want wasn’t listed”. You can also add a local printer or a network printer with the help of manual settings.
- Click on Next and select the port that the printer will use if it is a USB-based device. Again click on “Next”.
- Now select the Windows Update button and wait for the updating operation to complete.
You can also add the printer by selecting the “Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname” and click on “Next”. Then select “Autodetect” from the “Device type” drop-down list. After that, type the IP address of your printer in the text box and select “Next”.
Wait for your computer to connect to the printer and choose “Next” to install the drivers. When the driver update/installation is over, your printer is back in its working condition once again. Hopefully, you will face no problems while printing your documents.
Fix Memory Problems
Your HP printer can exhibit memory problems when you didn’t make any changes in your software from the beginning while initializing the plotter. To fix the memory problems, you need to go through the steps that are given below.
- You can add more memory to the plotter to resolve memory problems. Otherwise, you can reduce the complexity of drawings, decrease line weights, reduce the number of objects and make the complex objects simple.
- Hence, choose the “Factory” option from the currently selected palette that is present in the sub-menu of the “Pen Settings”.
- Then eliminate the line widths and try to reduce some complexity in it. If you are using the HP GL/2 driver for Windows Operating System, then select the “process in computer” below the “ADVANCED” tab.
- This process selection will help you to use some of your computer’s memory to process a particular file rather than using the printer’s memory.
Another solution for printing complex drawings is to use a minimum usage of 16 Megabytes of additional memory. If drawing plots don’t work after this, then there must be a problem in the data transmission process.
Troubleshoot Paper Skew Issues
The paper skew takes place when the movement of pages occurs in the advance mechanism with the movement of the cartridges. This actually results in the improper printing of margins in the paper edge. Let’s discuss how to deal with the paper skew by following the sections that are given below.
Factors to Understand the Paper Skew
There are several factors by which we can deal with the paper skew in your HP DesignJet printer. They are as follows.
- Load the paper properly in the paper input tray. This will help you to reduce the possibility of paper skew.
- There are a few types of papers that can be affected by the paper skew. We advise you not to use those papers.
Note: You can use genuine HP papers that are compatible with the DesignJet 400 model.
Troubleshooting Tips for Paper Skew
When you are inserting the paper in your printer, let the device first check the positioning of the paper. To do so, you can take the help of the paper slider. The right side of the sheets must be in an accurate loading position.
Now press the “Load Media” key to advance the paper until the large margin passes through the paper sensor. Now the printer can work with the total length of the sheet. This will make the printer work with the papers and will not lead to rejecting any page during the printing process.
Effective Help at your Doorstep
If you are still facing printing problems after following the fixes that are given above, you can give us a call at our toll-free number [ ]. We have a fantastic team of technicians that will help you to solve all the problems regarding the HP DesignJet 400 printer.
How to Turn off Low Ink Warning in your Printer?
Ans: First, open the “Devices and Printers” folder and right-click on the HP UPD, then choose “Properties”. Now click on the “Device Settings” tab and go to the “Installable Options” section. Thereafter, disable the printer status notification for low ink and click on “OK”.
2.Can I Replace Just One Ink cartridge?
Ans: Yes, you can easily replace one cartridge when it is running low in ink. You don’t have to replace the other one. If you bring out the black ink cartridge and try to print with the color cartridges, your device will not work.